Evolution of the Dragon

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Dotting the Eyes

Let me begin by apologizing for not having this up on Saturday night. I've been moving this weekend and the cable guy just literally walked out the door. Part of it could also be my passive aggressiveness of this being the final session and I'm realizing that this blog is coming to an abrupt end. Twelve sessions later and we finally dot the eyes. Phuc colored the orb a purple color. Though, in the picture, it looks like Phuc just punched me a couple of times and gave me a really bad bruise. He also finished the flames on my right ribs and decided to thicken some of the lines on the head.


I'm not sure what else to say. It has been an amazing process. I'll take better pictures of the tattoo once it's healed and post them up on my flickr account. The Boston Tattoo Convention is coming up on September 23rd to the 25th. Phuc will be tattooing all three days. I'm not sure if he is booked up yet so if you're in Boston during that time and want some work done, contact him and set an appointment. I will also be there. I have not decided what day I will be going yet, but Phuc is encouraging me to enter into the back piece competition, which is on Sunday. If you have the chance come by and say hi. If i'm around, I'll be more than happy to show you my back. I'll post up pictures in the next week or so once the tattoo is all healed.

posted by jim @ 7:34 PM

7 Comments:

Thanks for the kind words Steven. Its been a fun process and a pleasure getting to know Phuc and Sue. That was the best part. I'm glad that people were able to watch and enjoy the process. Thanks for coming by and looking on.
Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, September 10, 2005 9:21:00 AM  
Man, I guess that's that folks! Kudos to Jim for seeing his tattoo through to the end. When Jim first emailed me to start thinking about a backpiece, the first draft of my response was "DUDE, PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT YOU FINISH THE DAMN TATTOO!" Sue looked at the email and told me I should tone it down, but I was looking into the deeper issue of getting a backpiece- actually finishing it. Steven and Jim are two of the few people I know who've been able to plow through their backpieces and finish them in a timely fashion. I took like FIVE years to finish my back, but in my own defense, I got married and then Garver moved to LA, but regardless, it was a long, protracted affair.

Getting a backpiece is not an issue of money or time-although those are big factors- it's an issue of endurance on many levels, and Jim has shown great fortitude and resolve in the undertaking. I've had a great time getting to know Jim and Katie, and it definitely felt anti-climactic just to finish and not have more work to do.

It's never "goodbye," it's just "see you soon!"
Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, September 10, 2005 10:04:00 AM  
I'll be back for more. Ohhh don't you worry about missing me too much.
Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, September 10, 2005 10:26:00 AM  
This is a really great piece, Jim. Kudos to both you and Phuc.
Blogger * (asterisk), at Saturday, March 10, 2007 9:37:00 AM  
Thanks * (asterisk)
Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, March 11, 2007 5:16:00 PM  
hey jim, its molly (ex-POP intern). i just started my back piece, i liked reading your journal....made me think about taking pics of the process myself. tell katie i said hi!!! so did you end up entering your back piece last year at the b.t.c.? i worked pumpkin's booth this year which was pretty fun. i hope you won last year!! your backpiece rules!!!
Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, September 10, 2007 8:20:00 PM  
Hey Molly,
You should definitely journal your process. What are you having done? We were hoping to catch you at the convention this year. We were there Saturday night. Hopefully we'll get to catch up with you sometime soon.
Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, September 17, 2007 10:24:00 PM  

Provide a Comment