Evolution of the Dragon

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Introduction

Historically, dragons in Eastern doctrine have been associated with good luck. The creature lives for the most part in the ocean, river, or lake, but it has the power of flight and rules over the clouds and tempests.

I have been interested in getting a dragon tattoo for sometime. Shortly after I moved to Boston from Colorado, I had the opportunity to go to the Boston Tattoo Convention to see many talented artists. I didn't have the chance to talk to anyone that day, but I did see one artist's work that caught my eye. Phuc Tran, from Portland, Maine's Tsunami Tattoo. I was drawn to Phuc's artistic style and decided to contact him. After a few short exchanges, I was on my way to Maine to get some water waves. A few months later, I ended up with a lot more than just waves.

As the saying goes, "once you get a tattoo, you'll want more." Or something like that. As I was getting the work done on my leg, I was thinking about a piece that I have been wanting to get for a while. A dragon. But where? A sleeve may not go over well in my line of work and would probably make it difficult for me to get a job in the future. The next best option was my back. So how big do I really want to go? My back is almost an empty canvas. I do have a small tattoo of Grendel I got back in high school, but other than that, I'm wanting to go large. I'm thinking the upper half of my back. We'll see.

For those of you visiting this site for whatever reasons, I want to invite you to join me in my journey and share in my pain as I endeavor on acquiring a dragon tattoo on my back. Each session will be documented with commentary and pictures. I welcome any comments that you have and look forward to hearing from everyone.

Jim

posted by jim @ 12:00 AM