Evolution of the Dragon

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Stigma

Even though the Harris Poll reveals that 16% of American adults have tattoos, 36% of which are between the ages of 25-29, there is still a significant stigma toward individuals with tattoos. One example is a public opinion poll conducted by the Employment Law Alliance reporting that 39% of individuals surveyed believed that employers should have the right to deny employment to someone based on their appearance. Granted this encompasses not only body art, but how and one dresses, their hair style, and other physical characteristics.

As many of you know, I work in a professional environment. It's more liberal than maybe a business or legal environment, but I still work with many doctors and health professionals. Very few people know I have tattoos, let alone getting a full back piece. It's always interesting to see how people react to tattoos and their preconceived notions about people with tattoos. One of the most common responses that I get when someone finds out I have tattoos after they have known me for a while is "Wow, I never pictured you as a person that would get tattoos!"

As Phuc mentioned in one of his comments a while back, tattoos are a form of body modification, just as getting your ears pierced, breast implants, or liposuction. Each individual has their own reasons for body modifications. But more so, what are our own presumptions about a person who chooses to modify their body? Is a person who gets a tattoo worse than one who gets breast implants? What if the woman wants implants because she had a
mastectomy? Is she better than a woman who just wants larger breasts? Is a person who has a skull and flame tattoo worst that one with a cross and Jesus? Personally, I think skulls are a hell of a lot cooler! Prejudice has a large impact in our everyday lives. I hope that people begin to realize that there are many good people who have tattoos today and not to judge them for that. I'll get off my soap box now, but if you have input or experience related to this particular topic, leave a comment. I'd like to hear about it.

posted by jim @ 4:18 PM

5 Comments:

You go, girl! I was going to add something, but I'd just be beating a dead horse, and besides which, it would just further reinforce the tattoo stereotype. "There go them tattoo people again, beatin' that poor horse even though he's dead. Why can't them tattoo people just leave that poor, dead horse alone?!?!?!?"
Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, May 25, 2005 6:57:00 PM  
Call me crazy but I'm not sure if I gel with mastectomy and tattoing being mentioned in the same argument... I dig what your saying, just not sure if those two events are equatable...
Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, May 25, 2005 8:21:00 PM  
Maybe it's not my place to talk about issues regarding women, because I'm not one. I understand that brest implants may not be on the same level as getting a tattoo; however, I guess my point is for us to examine our prejudices of people and the choices they make regarding their bodies.
Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, May 25, 2005 8:58:00 PM  
I see what your point is...not sure what I've been smoking up here..must be this hippie air up in vermont...
Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, May 26, 2005 7:49:00 AM  
It's funny, cause my boss said the exact same thing to me when she found out I had tattoos. I was kinda perplexed for a moment. Then I wanted to say, "What do you mean, 'The kind of person that gets tattooed?' What kind of person do you think GETS tattooed??? And what kind of person do you think I am?"

Like you, I work in a professional, but not an ultra conservative, workplace. However, my tattoos are easily covered up when I wear shirts (two of my tats are on my back, the other is on the underside of my forearm), so it doesn't pose a problem for me. But I plan to get some more work in the future (including some work on my arm, not a sleeve, but a tat here and there), but i'm not really worried about the impact (if any) it will make on my 'marketability'. I wouldn't want to work for anyplace that isn't liberal anyway, so I doubt it will ever be a problem for me.

I had a discussion on a messageboard about tattoos in the workplace. One person was saying that in her workplace, if someone came in for an interview with visible tattoos (like as in the neck, face or hands), it will be looked as a negative against that candidate (because she didn't feel they were 'appropriate'). Which I thought was COMPLETELY ridiculous. I told her that women running around the workplace with short skirts and cleavage hanging out are, in my opinion, more inappropriate than someone who comes in professionally dressed and happens to have a visible tattoo.

On top of that, i'm a Christian, so that adds a whole other layer of controversy to the mix. I have both Christian and non-Christian tattoos - which doesn't endear me to either side of the spectrum. Some conservative Christians are very judgemental towards people with tattoos (even if those people are also Christians). And some non-Christians wrinkle thier nose at my Jesus fish.

But, I didn't get my tattoos to please anyone (well, I'm hoping Jesus likes the fish - LOL), so I really don't bother with thier negative comments...Unfortunately, people will always find something to pass judgement about - your weight, the color of your skin, your gender, your clothes, etc. You just have to do what makes you happy and let everyone else worry about it.

Anyway, sorry for the long winded post :)

Dawn
Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, May 27, 2005 11:57:00 PM  

Provide a Comment